So I fussed and I fidgeted and finally figured out a way to make this thing look better. I present to you, in all the crappy iphone photo quality, my Ruby quilt top!
I ended up turning the blocks them selves on point thus making it straight patchwork. I made a few more blocks for the ^ parts of the triangles and fashioned the corner pieces. Not a super huge deal, but I was really proud of myself for finding a way to get this to work. (I was channeling my inner Tim Gunn.) I've always hit a rough spot and said to hell with it. I'm taking this as a sign that I'm getting a bit better at this sewing thing. I even know how to make this if you don't want to cut off the corners. All that's left is to pick a backing, quilt and bind :D
Here is what I have so far from the Hunger Games pillow. I think the light yellow is too light. It maybe needs something less yellow and more of a pale gold, possibly use fewer strands. I also found a good dark brown for some of the darker spots. It's all a big trial and error thing. If this turns out complete shit I'll make another one and just outline the parts that overlap.